Brush Cutter (Whipper Snipper)
For your own safety please observe the instructions on this page, and if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to contact us.
A brush cutter (also known as a Whipper Snipper) is a high speed cutting tool. You must observe safety precautions to reduce the risk of personal injury. Careless or improper use may cause serious or even fatal injuries. Before using, ensure you have been provided with the appropriate training from your Volunteer Safety Officer and that you feel competent to perform the job required.
Ensure you do the following
- Read and fully understand the brush cutter manufacturers operator manual
- Clear your work area of debris
- Check fuel and oil levels (always ensure that fuel and oil are stored in correct storage containers)
- Place all fuels and oils at a safe distance from the work area (minimum 3 metres)
- DO NOT intake alcohol or any other substance that may affect your physical or mental capability
When using the brush cutter
- Wear protective clothing and any other protective equipment required
- Place the brush cutter on the ground to start
- Do no drop start brush cutter
- Hold down throttle interlock and squeeze the throttle
- While holding down both levers in this position, move the starter switch to ON. Release throttle triggers.
- Move choke lever to COLD or HOT start position
- Depress the fuel pump bulb 5 times
- Hold unit firmly downward with your left hand and slowly pull starter cod with your right hand until you feel resistance on the cord. Then give a brisk pull on the starter cord.
- Let starter cord slowly retract back into place
- When motor starts give a quick flick on the throttle
- The starter switch will then return to the RUN position and the motor returns to an idling speed and is ready to use
- Allow motor to warm up before engaging for use
- Face brush cutter head at an angle in front of you towards the ground
- Walk forward holding the brush cutter, using it in a left to right arch like motion
- Do not run with brush cutter while operating
- Turn motor OFF to change attachments
- Do not aim brush cutter at another person/s
- Do not mow in bad weather conditions and take special care if mowing uneven ground
- To shutdown the motor, move the starter switch to O off position diagram on the starter switch
- Clean and store brush cutter as per manufacturers manual for job completion and transporting
- Securely close fuel and oil containers for transporting
- Store fuel in a secure area where leaks and spills are contained
Page Last Updated: 29 May 2014