For your own safety please observe the instructions on this page, and if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to contact us.
A lawn mower is a high-speed cutting tool. You must observe safety precautions to reduce the risk of personal injury. Careless or improper use may cause serious or even fatal injuries. Before using, ensure you have been provided with the appropriate training from your Volunteer Safety Officer and that you feel competent to perform the job required.
Ensure you do the following
- Read and fully understand the lawn mower manufacturer’s operator manual
- Clear your work area of debris
- Ensure all safety guards are firmly in place
- Use lawn mower as per manufacturers design e.g. 2 or 4 stroke
- Check fuel and oil levels (always ensure that fuel and oil are stored in correct storage containers)
- Place all fuels and oils at a safe distance from the work area (minimum 3 metres)
- DO NOT intake alcohol or any other substance that may affect your physical or mental capability
When using the lawn mower
- Wear protective clothing and any other protective equipment required
- Clear around the area where the lawn mower is going to be started
- Place the lawn mower on firm ground to start
- Ensure the mower blades are set in the highest position for starting procedure
- Move the throttle control to the RUN position (automatic choke)
- Turn the fuel cap to ON position where fitted (manual choke)
- Move the throttle control lever to the choke position (manual choke).
- Depress the fuel pump bulk 3 times (where fitted).
- Using handle bar hold mower firmly with right hand and place left foot behind right hand rear wheel.
- Then slowly pull starter cord with your right hand until you feel resistance on the cord. Then give a brisk pull on the starter cord.
- After engine starts move throttle control to the RUN position.
- ALWAYS walk behind the push mower.
- DO NOT run with mower while engine is running.
- Check fuel and oil levels during operation.
- NEVER change mower blades while engine is still running.
- Always mow in a forward direction.
- Avoid mowing backwards as much as possible.
- Mower engine should be shutdown whenever emptying the mower catcher.
- Do not mow in bad weather conditions and take special care if mowing uneven ground
- To shutdown the mower engine, move the throttle control lever to the STOP position.
- Turn fuel top OFF (where fitted).
- Clean and store plant and equipment as per manufacturer’s manual for job completion and transporting.
- Securely close fuel and oil containers for transporting.
- Store fuel in a secure area where leaks and spills are contained.
Page Last Updated: 15 May 2014